Cormorants and Flowers
I’ve been working on putting together the DARK COAST series for a few months and it’s nearing completion. I had made a decision to approach it as a series which would have an end, a closure to the portfolio, as opposed to making it an endless compilation of like-work.
Most of the images that were shot for this series were made in a relatively short time of 4-6 months, but it is covering the locale that I have already been shooting for 3 years and am therefore very familiar with. The last month or 2, I’ve been working on editing the series, designing a Blurb book, creating a postcard as a mailer to galleries, figuring out the sizing/pricing/edition sizes and the rest of what comes with organizing this into a cohesive and strong body of work.
I am reminded as to how difficult editing a project down can be. I initially had 60-70 images that I felt were strong enough to be included, but kept taking my time with it and trimming it down to what will be around 30-35 images in the series to be printed as limited editions – the book will include most of the original 60-70.
Usually, I’d have a tendency to rush through some of this project, especially the making of the Blurb book, but again, I’ve been forcing myself to slow down and take my time with it. Initially, I had chosen this image and design for the cover. Not so much because it’s my favorite or the strongest image, but more because I thought it worked well as a cover shot and tied the book to the local La Jolla area with a recognizable landmark. But as the weeks went by, I found that I wasn’t loving this cover and I had chosen an image that I didn’t even feel was in the top 20 – in fact, I had contemplated cutting this image altogether from the collection! How could I choose this as my cover?! Today, I redesigned the cover with a different image and am now totally content with it. Not only did I choose one of my top favorites from the series, but it’s probably even more recognizable of a local landmark. This project is definitely proving as a valuable lesson in patience.
So, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel until this series is complete. Finalizing final prints for each image that made the final cut, figuring out the galleries to send mailers, putting the final touches on the book, and always brainstorming as to new and creative ways to market the photographs to possible buyers. And when I say – almost complete – that really means – ready to go out into the world – which, of course requires still much more work and concerted efforts to make happen! But it feels good. And that is why I am diggin’ this new approach to producing a series of work with an end as opposed to more greatest individual hits. With a project, you can visualize the process and the end result, then go out and make it, and at some point see the fruits of your labor and step away feeling satisfied, moving on to the next project.
Of course, I am already thinking of the next works and already have some images that I’m excited to share! These will probably be the basis to the next series, but for now – take a peek at DARK COAST and let me know whatcha think. And if you want to support emerging artists, buy the book – or - a print for your collection. And for those photogs that are used to working towards making the individual greatest hits, consider creating a series that you can focus on and that has a start and finish – it can really be rewarding and act as a learning lesson in many valuable ways that you may not find when you’re always going from one shot to the next.